Getting to Know: Charné Martin
1) Name: Charné Martin
2) Age: 23
3) What do you do when you are not at the box?
I’m currently in my final year of my BSc Biological degree at Wits. I also do Olympic Weightlifting, and competed at SA Weightlifting Champs for the first time earlier this year. I also spend a lot of time with my family.
4) How did you start CrossFit and how long have you been doing it?
3 years and 2 months.
My dad first saw CrossFit on ESPN and he looked for a box near us. He started CrossFit in January 2012 at CrossFit PBM and then in July 2012 I started at Crossfit Jozi.
5) What is your biggest achievement since starting CrossFit?
Firstly, an overall improvement of my health. I had really bad back problems before starting CrossFit and they are much better now. Secondly, Double Unders! I only got my first double under in the Open this year.
6) What is your best and worst movement or WOD?
My best movement would probably be strict press or any press. Any weightlifting movement except for front squat. I also enjoy rowing. My worst would be running and most gymnastic movements.
7) Most memorable moment at CFB?
Doing strict push ups (no snake ups) in a workout for the first time. Competing with Nyakwezi in PTA Throwdown last year was by far the most fun I have had in a competition.
8) Who inspires you at the box and why?
Anyone at the box who comes in regularly and works hard at bettering themselves.
10) Any words of wisdom to your fellow CFBers or newbies?
Consistancy is key. Keep working on your weaknesses. Don’t cherry pick your workouts.